STEM MAGNET MIDDLE SCHOOL (SMMS)
at Bennie Dover Jackson
36 Waller Street • New London, CT 06320 • (860) 437-6477 • bdjms.org/smms • Facebook
SMMS is New London's middle school option for students interested in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM).
Students enrolled in Winthrop STEM Elementary Magnet School can build on their elementary knowledge at the STEM Magnet Middle School and complete their specialized focus at STMHS.
- Building middle school scholars who are college and career ready through peer collaboration, communication and creative problem solving
- Integrating inquiry-based learning in all content areas
- Giving students opportunities to apply their knowledge of science and mathematics to find suitable solutions to everyday problems through engineering coursework using Project Lead the Way
- Providing rigorous personalized instruction for every student based on their current skill level and supported by online resources
- Featuring extensive after school programming that includes a unique partnership with New England Science and Sailing (NESS) where all STEM students will learn to sail, kayak, snorkel and explore marine sciences at locations in Stonington and Ocean Beach Park
- All students attending SMMS will have the opportunity to participate in the BDJMS electives: art, band, chorus, Spanish and technology
STEM Education is an approach to teaching and learning that integrates the content and skills of Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM). The STEM Academy @ BDJMS enables children in grades 6-8 to engage in rigorous tasks by examining and solving real world problems. Students are immersed in authentic, interactive, investigations that encourage their curiosity and motivate them to learn how the world works. Our school's instructional practices provide rich hands-on learning experiences for all learners. Students who complete our grade 6-8 STEM Academy will attend the Science and Technology Magnet High School of Southeastern Connecticut located at New London High School.